Story of The Old Mill
The water powered mill of Avondale, Newfoundland, was built in
the 1800's by Mr. William Lewis Clarke of Bristol England.
It was operational until 1892. That year, on the day after
St. John's was destroyed by fire, a blaze destroyed both the
mill, and the Clarke home.
Mr Clarke rebuilt the mill within the year. He was married
to Eliza Percey of Brigus, and their son, Harold
operated the mill until 1948 when he retired due to ill health.
He later sold the mill to John Power of Avondale, who in turn sold
it to John Mason of Avondale in 1953 and, for a
while it was operated by Leo Mason, the owner's brother.
When it was no longer profitable, the mill fell idle and
remained so for many years.
Mr Mason then leased the old mill to the co-operative society in
1983, which made plans to restore it to a
A federal government work project helped restore it, but the
lease ended in 1991 and
the mill became idle again.
In June 1995, Jackie McGrath purchased the land and building
from Mr Mason with great plans in mind.
Less than a month
later, the 145 year old sawmill burned to the ground.
The land on which the mill once stood is now being turned into
an RV Park and lodge, with an interpretative museum about the
mill in its day.